Wednesday 22 May 2013

Mannequins

Hands

I have been looking at parts of mannequins as they are very similar to some part of robots. I have bought two mannequin hands that I may use in a sculptural piece further on in the project or in digital work. I have also taken note of how the lack of texture makes the pieces look so artificial.





I also experimented with creating a hand out of wire mesh. I found that it is very difficult to shape the wire into the correct shapes and if I do make a metal had in the future I will make it out of sheet metal, more like a knight's gauntlet.

Body

I bought this mannequin body for a previous project but I realised that it could come in handy when creating robots later on in this project. Like with the hands, it is easy to see that it is the colour and lack of texture that makes the piece so artificial looking.




I have also photographed a Ken doll as this looks very similar to a full mannequin. If I create a mannequin in the future I could look at the body shapes and the articulation of the Ken doll.





Creating my own mannequin

I have creating this duct tape body in case I want to create a mannequin in the future. I created by wrapping myself in duct tape and then cutting the clothes off. This way I know that the body is very close to the shape of my own. If I follow up this idea, I will create a frame for it and stuff it with newspaper and polystyrene.


No comments:

Post a Comment